Chris Evans: Virgin Radio DJ on real reason Anton Du Beke got Strictly ‘boot’ – ‘Havoc!’

We will use your email address only for sending you newsletters. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights.

Chris Evans, 54, has long been a fan of Strictly Come Dancing, so much so that he almost graced the dance floor last year until an injury caused him to pull out. But his passion for the show has led him to often feature renowned professional Anton Du Beke, 54, on his Virgin Radio show, to talk all things Strictly and it came as a massive shock to Chris when he and his partner former Home Secretary Jacqui Smith, 57, were the first to be eliminated on Sunday.

That’s probably why Anton got voted out, people weren’t focused!

Chris Evans

The pair were sent home, failing to win over the audience vote after falling bottom of the leaderboard this weekend.

They were up against Jamie Laing and Karen Hauer in the dance-off where they performed a Samba to Tom Jones’ Help Yourself.

Discussing this week’s shockers with his co-stars, Chris believed that it wasn’t down to their dancing but something else was behind their untimely departure.

“US elections happening tomorrow, lockdown on Thursday, Anton Du Beke has been voted off Strictly again, criminaly almost, in the earliest of proceedings as far as that show is concerned,” Chris moaned.

“The one thing the Prime Minister’s announcement did, he played havoc with the Strictly scheduling on Saturday apparently.”

And it was this that, Chris believed, which was the real reason the pair were voted off.

“That’s probably why Anton got voted out, people weren’t focused!

He added: “They were too wobbled, not by what Mr Johnson said, but by when he said it!”

Saturday night became a waiting game for England as everyone eagerly awaited Boris Johnson to address the nation, after his supposed plans for a second nationwide lockdown were “leaked” the press.

The broadcast was supposed to begin at 4pm, which was then pushed back to 5pm, then 6:30pm.

With the uncertainty about when 10 Downing Street would be ready, TV scheduling took a bit of a hit.

BBC News aired a special where the presenters found themselves having to fill hours of airtime waiting for the announcement.

DON’T MISS…
Trisha Goddard to ‘return’ to ITV after 16 years in schedule shuffle [TV NEWS]
Amanda Holden and Alesha Dixon in BGT ‘gender pay row’ [LATEST]
Piers Morgan: ‘Government must protect those with non-Covid diseases’ [OPINION]

And if another imminent lockdown wasn’t enough of a crushing blow, Anton and the MP bid an emotional goodbye to the show, with Jacqui heaping praise on her parter.

She told host Tess Daly: “To Anton I would like to say you have been just an absolute joy to be with.

“I am so pleased and proud to have spent this time with you, and to everybody on the programme – I don’t think people realise just how brilliant the team is that put this programme together, and if ever we need Strictly, we need it now. So thank you so much.”

The Strictly sweetheart then added: “I’ve loved every second of being in the studio with you.

“We have laughed, you have a shocking sense of humour I can’t begin to tell you. You are just the best and I’ve loved it.

“Thank you from the bottom of my heart.”

With Strictly now truly underway, who will be the next to say farewell?

The Chris Evans Breakfast show airs weekdays at 6:30am on Virgin Radio and Strictly continues Saturday at 8pm on BBC One.

Source: Read Full Article