Blood-spattered murderer found hiding in shed after "frenzied" attack on wife

A blood-spattered murderer was found hiding in a shed by police after carrying out a "frenzied" attack on his wife.

Andriejus Kostiajevas, 47, was sitting in the rafters of the shed, with blood covering his hands and the sleeves of his grey hoodie.

He had attacked wife Ligita Kostiajeviene, 42, with a hammer, before stabbing her to death in a bedroom at their home in Peterborough, Cambs.

Body-worn camera footage released by police shows Kostiajevas initially refusing to come down, leading to a stand-off of over an hour as he told police, "I will sit here".

The killer eventually relented and climbed down, and was handcuffed and led away in the back of a police van.

And on Wednesday, Kostiajevas was jailed for a minimum of 28 years for the "frenzied" attack, which saw him stab his wife to death before turning the blade on a young child.

He stabbed the young boy nine times, leaving him requiring surgery in an attempt to repair nerve damage to his left arm. The child now his limited use of his left hand.

  • Mum 'hired son and his pal to murder dad and daughter in grab for life insurance'

  • Crossbow killer jailed for life after 'medieval-style execution' of pensioner, 74

Officers had to follow a trail of blood at the home in Peterborough, Cambs., in order to find Kostiajevas hiding in the shed.

He denied charges of murder, attempted murder, and assault on an emergency worker, but was found guilty on Tuesday following a trial at Cambridge Crown Court.

He was found not guilty of two separate charges – assault causing grievous bodily harm with intent and another without intent.

And on Wednesday, at the same court, he was jailed for life, with a minimum of 28 years.

The trial heard that Kostiajevas' "frenzied" attack took place on July 2 last year, after a woman in her 30s who was living at the address overheard him arguing with his wife in their bedroom.

The woman was concerned for Ligita's welfare and went into the room to intervene.

  • Three children, 3, 4 and 8, burned alive after being locked indoors by babysitter

When she saw Kostiajevas was holding a knife she tried to persuade him to put it down. He ignored her plea and stabbed Ligita, before chasing the woman out of the room.

A boy who was also living in the house was woken up by the commotion and was stabbed by Kostiajevas nine times when he went to see what was happening.

Paramedics attended, but Ligita died at the scene. She had been stabbed multiple times and also had head injuries.

Whilst being transported to Addenbrooke's Hospital for treatment for a cut to his hand, Kostiajevas kicked a police officer in the face, causing an injury to his eye.

Two hammers were recovered from the property, one of which had Ligita's hair attached to it.

A post mortem concluded Ligita died as a result of a severe head injury caused by multiple blows, consistent with the use of a blunt instrument such as a hammer.

Ligita, who leaves behind an adult daughter, has been described as a loving and caring mother who will be missed more than words can say.

Superintendent Michael Branston said: "This was a brutal, frenzied and sustained attack resulting in the death of an innocent woman and significant trauma to a young child.

"Our deepest sympathies go out to Ligita's family. I hope today's verdict will provide them with some assistance as they learn to live with this tragedy."

Source: Read Full Article