Thug jailed for 12 years for knifing emergency service worker after row over cap

A man has been jailed for more than 12 years for stabbing an emergency services worker in the heart after a row over a cap.

Mohammed Alinoor Uddin, 36, of Tower Hamlets, London, had been sentenced to 12 years and nine months in prison after pleading guilty to wounding with intent as well as battery of an emergency worker.

Uddin was charged with attempted murder after police were called to Whitechapel, east London, after reports of men brawling on October 12.

The 34-year-old emergency worker was stabbed in the heart while trying to stop Uddin and another man from fighting.

  • Hendon 'murder': Dad stabbed to death 15 minutes after leaving his newborn baby

  • Coventry stabbing: Two teens arrested on suspicion of murder as boy killed 'after party'

Uddin shouted 'pick up my cap and throw it back to me or I am going to stab you again' after knifing the worker, Metro reports.

The criminal, who was drunk and on drugs at the time, then lunged at the victim once again, although this time he narrowly missed.

Off-duty police officer Matt Evans was walking down the road and ran to help, which caused Uddin to flee.

Mr Evans gave chase and caught the guilty man, who bit the West Midlands officer but was restrained until more officers arrived to help.

According to Birmingham Live , PC Evans said: "Incidents like this make you realise being a police officer isn’t a job, it’s a state of mind you can never turn off, even when not at work.

"When I saw the guy being stabbed, for me there wasn’t a choice to make, I had to stop him before he killed someone.

"I’m glad everything turned out well in the end. The doctors, nurses, and hospital staff performed a miracle in saving that man’s life."

The victim required ongoing medical treatment but has since made a full recovery, Scotland Yard said.

Detective Constable Gavin Markey, who led the investigation, said:  “This was a brutal attack and it is only by sheer luck that the victim was in the grounds of the hospital and able to receive immediate medical treatment. Had he not been so close by, doctors have made it clear he would have died.

“We must also recognise the vital intervention of the off-duty officer who saw what was happening and acted instinctively, risking his life to try and prevent the attack becoming more serious.

“We are pleased Uddin is now behind bars and unable to inflict any further harm.”

Source: Read Full Article