Prince Andrew: Comedian Bill Bailey takes a cheeky swipe at royal
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
Strictly Come Dancing star Bill Bailey hosted Friday night’s Have I Got News For You, welcoming a number of guests to the panel. Comedian Fin Taylor and Dawn Butler MP joined team captains Paul Merton and Ian Hislop as they discussed the latest news headlines. However, just minutes into the BBC programme, Bill couldn’t help but take a swipe at Prince Andrew.
Bill’s joke came about as he discussed the Queen pulling out of hosting leaders at the COP26 climate conference in Glasgow.
“Now the Queen has pulled out of hosting a reception for world leaders at the conference,” he began.
“What will she be doing instead?”
Paul: “Is she hosting The One Show?”
Fin chipped in: “I’ll tell you who’s done a lot to reduce their carbon footprint, Prince Andrew.
“He hasn’t left the house for months. Good on him.”
“Andrew’s not going ’cause the word COP is in the title,” Bill joked.
“The Queen has actually been told to rest,” the comedian continued. “Why is she so knackered?”
“She’s 95,” Paul replied as Bill added: “Sources have been told she has been staying up late to watch TV.”
Dawn went on to question: “What sort of source is that, though?”
“Me,” Bill jibed. “I probably said it. I don’t know.
“I mean she probably watched the extended version of this show which goes out at seven minutes past three in the morning every Wednesday.”
Earlier this week, it was revealed the Queen was forced to pull out of COP26 after her doctors ordered her not to travel.
The news comes just days after the monarch’s recent hospital stay.
A statement was issued by Buckingham Palace on Tuesday evening to reveal Her Majesty would not be joining other members of the Royal Family at the climate change summit.
Bill’s joke about Prince Andrew comes after it was confirmed the Duke of York was served with court papers last month.
The court papers were served by Virginia Giuffre who claims the royal sexually abused her on multiple occasions in 2001 when she was a minor according to US law.
The 38-year-old is seeking unspecified damages from Prince Andrew, and there is speculation the sum could be in the millions of dollars.
The Duke of York has always strenuously denied her allegations and told a BBC Newsnight interview in 2019 he had “no recollection” of ever meeting her.
The Prince must respond to the claims made by Ms Giuffre by the end of the month or he will face a default judgment.
Have I Got News For You returns Friday 9pm on BBC.
Source: Read Full Article