HomeWorld NewsCoronavirus patient dragged back into hospital by nurses while being interviewed
Coronavirus patient dragged back into hospital by nurses while being interviewed
Panicked hospital staff dragged a coronavirus patient back into a hospital in Georgia while he was thanking doctors for curing him.
A clip showed the Iranian man being ushered back into a hospital in Tbilisi after speaking to journalists outside.
The unnamed man, who had apparently been cleared of coronavirus, had surprised the media when he emerged because they were expecting a medical official instead.
He told them: ‘I am so happy. Thank you very (much), people of Georgia. Thank you very (much), thank you so very (much). Hospital, doctors in hospital Georgia.
‘This hospital is perfect and professional.’
After being whisked away the man was taken to another hospital in Abastumani where people are under quarantine.
The global count of those diagnosed with coronavirus has exceeded 82,000, with China, where the virus originated, still by far the hardest-hit country.
Around 78,497 cases have been reported there, including 2,744 deaths.
Recent days have seen sharp spikes in South Korea, Italy and Iran.
Italy has become the worst affected country in Europe with at least 650 cases and 15 deaths.
South Korea reported 256 additional cases Friday, raising its total to 2,022, with most occurring in the region around the city of Daegu.
Meanwhile, England’s chief medical officer has warned it is ‘just a matter of time’ until coronavirus spreads in the UK, as the number of confirmed cases in the country jumped to 16.
In the UK, 7,690 people have been tested for the virus and of the 16 to have tested positive, eight have so far been discharged from hospital.
In total three people tested positive for coronavirus on Thursday, including the first confirmed case in Northern Ireland.
Experts have warned of school closures and cancelled sporting events as the disease spreads across the globe.
Professor Chris Whitty, chief medical officer, said there could be a ‘social cost’ if the virus intensifies, including school closures for more than two months.
He told the Nuffield Trust summit: ‘One of the things that’s really clear with this virus, much more so than flu, is that anything we do we’re going to have to do for quite a long period of time, probably more than two months.’
In total 168 Britons remain confined to the H10 Costa Adeje Palace in Tenerife after at least four guests were diagnosed with coronavirus.
Around 50 of the Britons will be allowed to leave if they wish, according to a source.
The Minister of Health in Tenerife said around 130 guests from 11 different countries will be able to leave the hotel if they arrived on Monday, after infected guests had already left.
Got a story for Metro.co.uk?
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at [email protected] For more stories like this, check our news page.