Fort Bliss soldiers poisoned after drinking substance they thought was booze
‘I can’t turn my back on her’: Overseas soldier desperate for donations to bring rescue dog home
11 Fort Bliss soldiers injured, 2 critically, after ingesting unknown substance
Let down your hair: Army announces new rules for ponytails, nail color
Sen. Tom Cotton takes heat for past claim of Army Ranger status
Eleven soldiers at a military base in Texas have been hospitalized after drinking a substance they thought was alcohol, Army officials said.
The soldiers drank the unknown substance during the final day of a 10-day field exercise at Fort Bliss’s McGregor Range Complex on Thursday, Fort Bliss officials said in a statement.
Officials said the soldiers thought they were drinking booze, which is banned at the base.
They then began experiencing symptoms between 7:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. that same day.
All were taken to William Beaumont Army Medical Center, and two soldiers were admitted to the intensive care unit because that are seriously ill, officials said.
Toxicology results showed the soldiers — who are assigned the 11th Air Defense Artillery Brigade, 32d Army Air and Missile Defense Command — were suffering from ethylene glycol poisoning.
Symptoms of ethylene glycol poisoning include seizures, going into a coma, and cerebral edema in some cases, according to the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry.
The US Army Criminal Investigation Command is probing the incident.
Share this article:
Source: Read Full Article