What are the new COVID-19 restrictions for greater Sydney?

For our free coronavirus pandemic coverage, learn more here.

The NSW government has extended current restrictions to at least midnight on Friday, July 2 and introduced stay-at-home orders for at least one week for those who live in, or people whose usual place of work is in Woollahra, Waverley, Randwick and City of Sydney.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Health Minister Brad Hazzard say the restrictions are being put in place “to protect the people of NSW from the evolving COVID-19 outbreak”.



Due to the risk associated with an increasing number of exposure venues where transmission has occurred, from 11.59pm on Friday June 25 until at least 11.59pm on Friday July 2, residents and people whose usual place of work is in Woollahra, Waverley, Randwick and City of Sydney must stay at home unless it is for an essential reason. The reasons you may leave your home include:

  • Shopping for food or other essential goods and services;
  • Medical care or compassionate needs;
  • Exercise outdoors in groups of 10 or fewer; and
  • Essential work, or education, where you cannot work or study from home.

“We understand this is a difficult time for everyone. However, we need to take these steps now to get on top of this outbreak,” Mr Hazzard and Ms Berejiklian said in a statement.

People should only enter the four local government areas with stay-at-home orders for essential purposes.

“As previously stated, if you live or work in the City of Sydney, Waverley, Randwick, Canada Bay, Inner West, Bayside, and Woollahra local government areas, you cannot travel outside metropolitan Sydney for non-essential reasons,” the Premier and Health Minister said. “Residents across Greater Sydney should also limit unnecessary activity and avoid large gatherings in coming days and comply with the current restrictions.”

Existing restrictions extended

Meanwhile, existing restrictions for Greater Sydney, applied earlier this week, have been extended.

These restrictions will now stay in place until at least midnight on Friday, July 2:

Socialising

  • Households will be limited to five guests, including children;
  • People must be seated at hospitality venues or events; drinking while standing is not permitted;
  • The four square metre rule will be reintroduced at all indoor and outdoor settings, including weddings and funerals; and
  • No dancing or singing at venues except for wedding dance floors, which are now restricted to 20 people.

Masks

  • Masks will be mandatory in all indoor non-residential settings, including workplaces, and at organised outdoor events;
  • People attending outdoor events must wear a mask except while eating and drinking; and
  • Masks must be worn on public transport

Public transport

  • Social distancing via green dots on public transport will be reintroduced; and
  • Masks must be worn on public transport.

Physical recreation and sport

  • Dance and gym classes will be limited to 20 people per class and participants must wear a mask.

Travel limit

  • Travel will be restricted to the metropolitan area for residents who live or work in seven Sydney local government areas. These include Randwick, Bayside, Canada Bay, Inner West, City of Sydney, Waverley and Woollahra.

Interstate travel

Victoria

Victoria will expand its classification of NSW “red zones” to include all Greater Sydney and Wollongong from 1am Friday. It means non-Victorian residents are banned from entering the state while residents will have to obtain a permit and quarantine at home for 14 days. They will also have to get a COVID-19 test within 72 hours of entering the state, and receive a negative test result on day 13 before they are cleared to leave self-quarantine. The police presence along the border between Victoria and NSW will be significantly increased.

Queensland

Anyone who has been in Greater Sydney, the Central Coast, Blue Mountains, Wollongong and Shellharbour will not be able to enter Queensland without an exemption from 1am Thursday, June 24.

The hotspot declaration will not be backdated. It will apply to anyone that has been in the hotspot locations on or after 1am.

Those who can enter Queensland will need to complete 14 days quarantine in government arranged accommodation.

Western Australia

Western Australia has reintroduced its hard border with NSW, effective from 1pm AEST on Wednesday, Premier Mark McGowan has announced. Travel is no longer permitted without an exemption for residents of NSW. The change extends to those who’ve recently been in NSW.

Anyone arriving in WA from Wednesday will have to self-quarantine for 14 days.

South Australia

Effective immediately, South Australia on Wednesday afternoon announced it would close its border to NSW.

People who have been in NSW in the past 14 days will not be allowed to enter South Australia unless granted an exemption.

Tasmania

Tasmania has labelled City of Sydney, Randwick, Inner West, Woollahra, Waverley, Canada Bay, and Bayside as “high risk” areas. Anyone who has been in these local government areas will not be allowed to enter the state unless granted an exemption. Tasmanians returning home who have been in any of these local government areas will be required to quarantine for 14 days at a “suitable premises”.

Northern Territory

Greater Metropolitan Sydney, the Blue Mountains and Wollongong have been considered COVID-19 hotspots, which means you must undertake 14 days of quarantine in supervised accommodation at the Alice Springs or Howard Springs quarantine facilities.

Australian Capital Territory

From 4pm Wednesday, anyone who enters the ACT who has been in the City of Sydney, Waverley, Randwick, Canada Bay, Inner West, Bayside, Woollahra will be subject to stay at home orders. The orders will remain in place for at least a week. People have been advised not to travel between Greater Sydney and the ACT but anyone entering the territory will have to complete an online declaration form.

Trans-Tasman bubble

New Zealand has paused its travel bubble with NSW for at least 72 hours after an Australian who travelled from Sydney to Wellington over the weekend tested positive to COVID-19. The pause came into effect on Tuesday night and will be under constant review.

The Morning Edition newsletter is our guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.

Most Viewed in National

From our partners

Source: Read Full Article